How We Treat Wounds in Pets
Our urgent care hospital is equipped for the surgical treatment of minor wounds only. If we believe your pet’s wound is far more serious, we may need to connect you with an emergency vet or surgical specialist so your pet can get the care they need.
For wounds our team can manage, treatment generally involves:
- Carefully assessing the wound and determining whether it needs to be sutured or left open for drainage and to prevent infection
- Irrigation (flushing out) of dirt and bacteria from the wound
- Debridement, if needed, of dead tissue
- Application of a topical medication to support healing
- Placement of a catheter for drainage if necessary
- Suturing of the wound
- Bandaging of the wound
- Providing oral and/or injectable antibiotics and pain medication to aid in your pet’s healing and ease their recovery at home*
*We may also be able to recommend acupuncture, herbal therapy, or another integrative treatment to increase healing and pain relief.